Monday, June 20, 2005

The Dream Killer

There seems to be some confusion over Robert Horry's nickname - Big Shot Rob, Big Shot Bobby, etc. It doesn't really matter what you call him b/c ever since I watched him knock down clutch three's nonchalantly vs. Philly in the 2000-01 Finals, I've quietly hated, but respected him. When we did everything we could to hold Shaq and Kobe relatively in check, and keep the game close, it was Horry who would snatch all hope in the final minutes.

Horry must have been reading my mind last night. As I watched him drive to the basket, a bit out of control, then throw the ball hard off the backboard, barely grazing the rim - twice - I thought he was done. Detroit had the momentum, Manu and Tim were fading, and Horry was trying to do too much. He was out of his zone. He was 34. It was showing. I thought Pop may have been giving him too many minutes, but he didn't pull him. Next thing I know, he hits an open 3. Then a putback. Then another three. He's heating it up in the second half. Typical Robert Horry.

I didn't see the game winner last night. Once it went into OT, I tured the TV off and called it a night. I didn't really care who won, though I was somewhat pulling for Detroit b/c I don't see them winning two in San Antonio. I decided to let the outcome be a surprise in the morning. Reading about the shot though, I realized, I didn't need to see it. I've seen it before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home